Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Death Proof: Tarantino Food Tour of Austin



The movie Death Proof talks about and visits quite a few Austin hot spots and last Sunday Mike, Cara and I decided to hit them up. First up was the Omelettry for breakfast. Literally just a shack that you could drive by a hundred times without noticing, the restaurant seemed promising from the moment i found out they only accept cash.





It's very important to note that this establishment is cash only. :)



I tried the Spanish omelet topped with salsa, jalapenos and peppers. Also notice the generous amount of delicious crispy potatoes on the side.




I chose fruit instead of bread. A solid choice in my opinion. The watermelon was perfectly ripe, sweet and juicy. Not over ripe and gritty like watermelon can be.



The Omelettry had entertaining decor which included a portrait of Quentin himself (the picture came out a little blurry) and a homey feeling. It was like mom's dining room if mom was an art, painting loving, hippy woman.




We took a break to let our stomachs settle and empty then headed out to the Texas Chili Parlor downtown. Texas Chili Parlor is where the majority of the bar scenes were filmed. What Death Proof tour would be complete without a shot of chartreuse? Quentin drinks a bottle of this liquor "so nice they named a color after it" in the movie. Mike commented that it probably wasn't he favorite drink, a bit strong, but when in Rome...




Gueros was our dinner destination where I ordered vegetarian chalupas and Shiner. I don't know about you but I enjoy when my meal is too big for one sitting. It feels like a bonus, two meals for the price of one!


Cara and I enjoying our Shiner.



No comments: