Monday, May 04, 2009

Vegan BBQ Sandwich


Ok, so maybe Gardenburger BBQ Riblets aren't the healthiest thing in the world to be munching down on but a couple of times a year I indulge and buy a box of these. I had a friend visiting from out of town this weekend so I ended up eating out quite a bit. When people come to visit I always want to show them my favorite places to eat. The only meal I cooked for us was breakfast and a few snacks (hummus and what not). Before my friend arrived I was digging in the freezer for dinner when I remembered that I bought riblets a month or so back.

This version of my riblet sandwich includes a cracked wheat bun, red dandelion greens and organic sauerkraut. I also had a side of oven baked sweet potato fries.

My ideas for a homemade version of this sandwich will be to grill some tempeh, leave out the bun and have a salad/fries with it.

Does anyone have any tips for grilling tempeh? I got my hands on some local BBQ sauce that I like and I'd like to start using it.

Teddy

3 comments:

fleur said...

yum

veggievixen said...

yum-tastic! i love just baking or grilling bbq tofu too :)

Catherine Weber said...

This totally makes me want BBQ tempeh, now!! And sweet potato fries . . . and steamed broccoli! There's Saturday night dinner, I think!

Tips for grilling tempeh? I'd simmer it for 10 minutes before marinading it, methinks, and probably use a grill basket -- tempeh can be kind of delicate/crumbly!