Sunday, April 05, 2009

Fennel Orange Quinoa Salad


Yesterday was my first Food Bloggers of Austin Potluck. I have to admit that I get a little nervous about foodie potlucks. Every person I meet is fantastic and kind but I feel THE PRESSURE. Must. Make. A. Delish. Dish.


As tempted as I was to fall back on an easy favorite I made up my mind to try a new dish.

Fennel Orange Quinoa Salad

1 bulb fennel
2 oranges (try blood oranges!)
2 cups quinoa (uncooked)
4 cups water
1/2 a red onion
salt to taste
1 Tbspn walnut oil (optional)
1/4 cup pine nuts (optional)

Wash quinoa thoroughly before cooking.
Combine quinoa, water and a heavy pinch of salt in a pot (or rice maker). Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer until water has been absorbed (about 25-35 mins)

While quinoa is cooking, grate the bulb of the fennel (you can thinly slice instead. I found using a grater was faster). Zest both oranges and section one orange.
Finely dice 1/2 a red onion. Combine all your veggies and stir in heavy pinch of salt (this lets the fruit and veg release their juices). Let this mixture sit until your quinoa is cooked and slightly cooled.

Once the quinoa has cooled, add the veggies/fruit and walnut oil to your quinoa. Stir until combined. Sprinkle with a handful of finely chopped fennel leaves and pine nuts plus any additional salt as needed.


The dish went over well but this recipe makes A LOT of quinoa, I suggest cutting it in half unless you want leftovers. Time to start another busy week here. Have a good one!

Teddy

2 comments:

Laura said...

That sounds awesome! I'm sorry I missed it.

marshall said...

We didn't get a chance to meet at the pot luck but I did try your dish and it was fantastic. I'm going to make it at home this week. Good stuff.