Sunday, August 19, 2007

LA tofu festival 2007

Yesterday was my second year at the annual Tofu Festival in Little Tokyo, LA. This year I was accompanied by the lovely and always adorable Cara :)




Festivities began a little on the wild side with a "tofu margarita". I'm not sure how we ending up sampling this one.



Tofu margarita? Not so much unfortunately.



However, the tofu tostadas were very flavorful. Cara and I have decided that we must learn how to replicate them :)



The orange flavored tofu was good but not very memorable. I would have enjoyed this more with a little rice served with it. But for 1 buck, can't really complain can you?



I had to have at least ONE picture of my nerdy, food loving self chowing down at the tofu festival. Wow I must have enjoyed that orange tofu more than I remembered :)



To deal with the stifling heat we meandered into a tented area with a refreshment.



We got these strawberry slushies made with REAL strawberries in them and cooled off for a bit.



Little did we know we walked right into the TOFU EATING CONTEST. We just had to stay and watch the insanity.




Feeling quite refreshed after watching half an hour of tofu eating madness, we headed back out into the eat in venture of more foods.




My final dish was a safe pick- Pad See Ew. This is one of my favorite thai dishes and I was excited that they offered it this year.

I am so happy that I decided to make the trek to LA a 2nd year for this event. I've officially decided that this is something I must do every year- a new tradition per say :).

Can't wait until next year!


Teddy

10 comments:

Carrie™ said...

Wow! I wish there was something like that around here. I think I'd pass on the tofu margaritas though. Ewww.

Anonymous said...

looks like a great day!!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to time my CA trip next year with this festival. It looks like so much fun and I love to see organizations spreading veggie love.

Annie said...

Looks like you had a great time. It's like tofu heaven...I have never cooked tofu but have eaten it a few times and enjoyed it.

I think I'll pass on the margarita, though ;)

Peter Matthes said...

Strawberry slushies sound excellent.

Tofu Margaritas ... not so much.

Lisa Braithwaite said...

I loved the pad see ew, didn't love the tofu margaritas. :-) The tofu in green curry was also excellent (from the pad see ew people).

As usual, it was too hot and I lost my appetite after a couple of dishes. I ended up drinking a lot: young coconut, watermelon boba and my niece's green tea boba that she didn't like.

We couldn't find the entertainment until we were leaving, though. Bummer that it was at a separate venue.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Love the L.A. Tofu Festival! The tofu eating contest was quite a spectacle! This was my first time there, I will certainly not miss another one. I just came upon your blog, and I also live in SoCal. I recently found this company that delivers a whole week of vegan meals, and they're very good. Just thought you might want to check them out. www.veginout.com. Very cool company. That's all...keep writing...I'll keep reading! Peace.

The Sexy Vegan said...

Ha! Love the L.A. Tofu Festival! The tofu eating contest was quite a spectacle! This was my first time there, I will certainly not miss another one. I just came upon your blog, and I also live in SoCal. I recently found this company that delivers a whole week of vegan meals, and they're very good. Just thought you might want to check them out. www.veginout.com. Very cool company. That's all...keep writing...I'll keep reading! Peace.

Vanessa said...

So jealous! Looks like you had a ton of fun.
Now why doesn't NYC have a tofu festival?!

Jenni Shortt said...

looks like you've had a nice day! and the food doesn't look that bad at all, there's nothing like it over here in ITaly, We only have one Seitan festival near Firenze, that's all! :(