Thursday, September 14, 2006

Soycatash


I've had a few people ask what Soycatash is and I thought I'd like to do a quick post about it.
SOYcatash is nothing more than Succotash with fresh soybeans in it instead of lima beans.

About Succotash

Succotash (from the Native American Narraganset language, msikwatash) is a food dish consisting primarily of lima beans and corn (maize), possibly including pieces of cured meat (no meat in mine please!),
This method of preparing vegetables became very popular during the Great Depression in the United States.
It was sometimes cooked in a casserole form, often with a light pie crust on top as in a traditional pot pie.
In some places in the American south any mixture of vegetables prepared with lima beans and topped with lard or butter is called succotash. Succotash is a traditional dish of many Thanksgiving celebrations in Pennsylvania.

(Wikipedia)


Trader Joes makes Soycatash and I like to add it to my chili (I prefer chucky chili) or other south western dishes.


Now that you know what it is, any ideas on how I can use Soycatash?


Teddy

4 comments:

Harmonia said...

I have never had this....ever...but want to - I'm sheltered, aren't I? lol

Crystal said...

Good idea to add it to chili. I have some soybeans in my freezer, this would be a good use for them.

-Crystal

Anonymous said...

I make it as a side dish or to serve over rice .. with frozen edaname (I buy the beans out of the shell), red pepper, red onion, corn and a tiny bit of earth balance and garlic.. topped with fresh thyme.. it's really good.

It would be great turned into a veggie chowder.. with some soymilk and red potatoes..

also... as a filling with rice or quinoa in a pepper for stuffed peppers..

I've used this mixture cold as a salad. served on a bed of greens with a mustard vinaigrette..

-melody
melomeals.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I have two or three succotash recipes and I've never tried either of them. Thanks for "refreshing my memory"... LOL!!