Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Brazil Nut Facts

I eat Brazil nuts all the time. It's my favorite nut for sure.



Best thing I've learned-

Brazil nuts are by far the most important non-timber forest product in the Amazon. Over a hundred thousand Amazonian inhabitants depend on the revenues related to Brazil nut extration. Since they only grown in untouched forests, several million acres are protected because of these nuts.





Tree reaching 30–45 m tall and 1–2 m trunk diameter, among the largest of trees in the Amazon Rainforests

Live for 500 years or more



The tree is also deeply involved with local wildlife (see here);
I think this
Photo Gallery has the best information on the life of a Brazil Nut.


Families HAND gather the nuts. That makes me feel that I should appreciate thes
e things even more.

Despite their name, the most significant exporter of Brazil nuts is not Brazil but Bolivia.




The Brazil nut effect, where large items mixed with other smaller items (e.g. Brazil nuts mixed with peanuts) tend to rise to the top, is named after the species' large nuts.

These nuts are a nutritional goldmine too

Brazil nuts excellent source of selenium and a good source of magnesium and thiamine.

Brazil nuts have a high amount of oil. This oil is also used as a lubricant in clocks and for making artists' paints.

This is my favorite research thus far. Good times learning good facts!

Teddy

-----------------------------------------------------------------
links
Wikipedia
Brazil Nut Page

13 comments:

Dori said...

I have read briefly before that these nuts are really dietary powerhouses. Nice info.

urban vegan said...

I must be nuts b/c I don't eat nearly enough brazil nuts. Thanks for this.

KleoPatra said...

Wow, i don't think i have ever consciously eaten one of these nuts. That is not to say that i eat when unconscious but more that i probably have had 'em in some type of food and not known. Great info, Teddy! Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Hand picked.... Wow! Thanks for the great info!

Crystal said...

Cool facts about Brazil Nuts (haha - Bolivian Nuts).

You asked about our herb garden...we've done it for 3 years now and started out with just a few starter plants from an herb farm we love. We didn't have much luck the first year because we didn't really know how to care for them.

Then, the 2nd year, we didn't know you could overwater something, so it was an okay year, but still weak.

Now, this 3rd year, we think we have it down. Pick out a few main herbs that you would like to have - basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, etc. Buy starter plants (better success rate and heartier plants straightaway). Read up on them and you should be good. Plus, you're in California right? You have a much longer summer than we do.

After this season we're going to have to dry most of the herbs and start over again next year.

-Crystal

Shananigans said...

Of all the nuts I can’t say that Brazils are my favorite. I like them ok, but my preference is for macadamias, cashews, pine nuts, walnuts, and almonds. Nuts in general are good though, I’ll pretty much eat any nut you put in from of me. :) Thanks for the interesting info, it’s great to know that Brazil nuts are playing a part in rain forest preservation and supporting economies in South America.

Anonymous said...

lubricant in clocks? now there's an interesting fact.

do you know if they are a good source of protein?

Annie said...

Wow, that's so interesting. I'm glad I found your blog. Hey come visit Mixed Salad Annie sometime.

funwithyourfood said...

Hi guys!
I know I haven't been responding like i used to. Sorry :(

Crystal thanks for the herb growing info! I'msaving up a little money so I can get started.

Megan- I read on one of the sites that herbavore animals really like the nuts because they are a natural source of high protein food.

Thanks to everyone for stopping by- I'm going to your blogs now :)

Teddy

Anonymous said...

I have a question. Where exactly are brazil nuts found? I know that they're found in the Amazon Rain forest, but I don't know what parts of the Amazon Rain forest.
Please answer!

FusionPrincess said...

Thanks Teddy,
this really helped me on my ridiculous homework for geography!

To do a fact file on Brazil Nuts!!

Anonymous said...

Hiya evry1!

Anonymous said...

Brazil nuts are actually the worlds most radioactive food!