Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Masaman Curry

Admittedly, I am not a great thai chef. I usually am unimpressed with the curries I’ve prepared at home; which is why I go out to eat thai quite often. Although this is not a homemade blend of spices, it tastes comparable to restaurant quality. YAY

You have no idea how excited I was to taste this and think “hmmm NOT BAD”. Then I proceeded to dance around the house a bit giving myself high-fives for my accomplishment haha.



I used a canned Masaman curry paste that contained no shrimp paste or fish sauce and I decided to mix it up with squash instead of potatoes. Squash is sweeter and better for me so it seemed like a win-win addition to the dish.



I roasted it in the oven for about 30 mins.


Then I added it to my onions, carrots, curry paste and coconut milk to simmer and soak up all the flavors. What made this dish better than the normal curries I make? I think I was the fact that I grated one clove of garlic and a teaspoon of fresh galanga into the sauce. Those two ingredients revitalized the canned paste. To add more spice I shook a dash of red pepper flakes in as well.

The result was AMAZING. I repeat- YAY. It’s good to know I can make ONE type of curry at home now and enjoy it.

No comments: