Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Plantain in Pasadena

A couple of weekends ago I mentioned it was my Grandpa's birthday. While we were there we cooked up a plantain. I thought I'd share that with you now (mostly because I didn't take pictures of what I cooked tonight hehe)





NOTHING to do with Plantains here. Just a cool picture of a butterfly near my grandpas house.




Yes, this is the dorky-est picture I've ever taken but you know every time you have a banana in your hands you think about doing this!





Now back to the recipe. We just sautéed the plantains in some brown sugar and butter (use vegan versions of both) and you've got a sweet tasty treat. If you're feeling kooky, add a jigger of rum and be careful of any flame that may occur!





John and I prepared them. It was mostly John but, hey, I helped! ;)


These flew off the plate and everyone really liked them. Let me know what you think!

Teddy

10 comments:

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

i love plaintains & there is an awesome cuban restaurant in la - versailles - that makes them soooo well!

Harmonia said...

Pretty Picture...that's a nice color of purple! Happy Birthday to your Grandfather.

Bananas are haunting me.

>:)

Mikaela said...

:: sending a plantain smile ::

Anonymous said...

I think that butterfly picture is from my back porch, not grampa's. I picked out those purple and white flowers, and I've been working really hard to make them bloom, because I just love them.

Mom

Tanya Kristine said...

Mmm...that sounds really delish. i love fried bananas.

i love fried anything

Shananigans said...

Haha, love that picture of you with a plantain smile! I never ate plantains before I moved to SoCal. I love the variety of produce that’s available here. Never thought of adding rum, I’ll be giving that a try soon. One nip for me, one for the plantains, one for me…

Anonymous said...

You are too funny Teddy, love that new SMILE!!!! Huggs, G

Jody from VegChic said...

Plantains are great. Unfortunately, Tommy won't touch them.

That tofu festival looked wondeful. I've been lurking, but not commenting. I'm so jealous of the cool veg stuff you have in CA.

Dori said...

I've never tried a plaintain, but I have looked at them, held them, sniffed them and everything else possible to do with them at the grocery store, but never purchased and prepared one.

laura k said...

Cool! I'll have to try this soon--I've been thinking about plantains ever since the new Cuban restaurant went up across the street from us!