Monday, May 15, 2006

Sweet Potato Facts

First off I just need to say that Sweet Potatoes and YAMS are NOT the same thing. I know it's a bit confusing because at the grocery store you can get canned YAMS (which are usually sweet potatoes), but trust me- I would NEVER lie about food : ). They come from entirely different plants. Hm perhaps I should post about Yams tomorrow... We'll see ; ) Moving on...


Things to know about SWEET POTATOES:
  • Sweet potatoes rank 10th in U.S. vegetable production. (source)
  • Sweet potatoes are one of the most nutritious vegetables you can eat (They contain more vitamin A per serving than any other vegetable!)(source)
  • Sweet Potatoes are native to central and South America, and were a dietary staple of the Aztecs in Mexico and the Incas of Peru.(source)
(source)
  • The country that eats the most sweet potatoes is the SOLOMON ISLANDS consumption is 160 kg per person per year (source)


Recipe


Now I know there's Sweet Potato Pie and that scrummy, marshmallow cover
ed dish you eat every year at Thanksgiving but I am a simple girl. I like no fuss, easy peasey cooking and the recipe is...

Baked Sweet Potato FRIES


Oh boy do they look yummy eh?
(Source)



Here's ALL you need.
Sweet potatoes
Salt/pepper (maybe some seasoned salt if you're feeling crazy)

Just give your potatoes a good scrub under the tap. There's no need to peel them.

Cut them in half lengthwise, (repeat about 3 times or make them as thick as you'd like).

Coat the potatoes in a SMALL amount of cooking oil (preferably veggie oil)


Spread them evenly (in one layer) on a baking sheet that has been coated with oil.


Place them in a preheated oven at 375 Degrees for about 25 mins or until golden brown.

As soon as you remove them from the oven sprinkle on your seasonings.
Let sit for about 5 mins to cool.
Munch on your healthy fries!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello hello

BOY what a day. Work has been crazy. I'm glad I have the time to come home and work on this still. I ended up not eating dinner last night so no verdict on the pea leek soup but hopefully that'll be for dinner tonight.
I choose sweet potatoes today because me and my good friend Cara were talking on the phone and SOMEHOW this got brought up.. and we decided we needed to make some sweet potato fries. She's living far away from me right now but starting next week it'll only be about 5-10 miles YAY. Perhaps I should break in her new place with some cooking : )

Have a nice night guys!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you can give me a homecoming gift of "sweet potato fries" mmmmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

For many years I LOATHED sweet potatoes/yams but now they are favs. of mine....saw a recipe for a jellyroll/roulade using sweet potatoes in the cake yesterday, that looked very interesting !!!
Thanks for stopping by Veggies...
G :)

Harmonia said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog! I like your place and will link you today! I hope to post soon! I wanted to do tofu and veggies but had a little mishap and settled for a BETTER salad...spinach, argula, mandarin oranges, carrots, tomatoes, etc with Goddess Dressing!